Neptune Wave Power's technology is a “point absorber” Wave Energy Conversion Device (‘WECD’). The floating and securely moored offshore buoy reacts to the vertical surge and irregular movement of waves causing a horizontal pendulum within it to rotate. The rotational energy of this pendulum, through a proprietary internal drive system, is directed to an on board electric generator. Power generated is fed to the utility grid via an underwater cable system at an interconnect point. Neptune Wave Power's WECD patented designs have numerous advantages:
- No moving parts exposed to seawater
- Design that uses proven electrical, mechanical, mooring, and drive components
- Modular design for cost effective manufacturing
- Interchangeable components for cost effective maintenance
- Scalable and movable
- Dynamically configurable for any offshore environment
- Operational in sea wave heights as small as 1'
Our WECDs are deployed in arrays and are fully scalable to meet the demands of a variety of applications. There are no emissions, no fuel costs, and low maintenance and monitoring costs. The electricity costs generated with this technology are competitive with any alternative generation method including wind. Design, construction, and deployment times are also dramatically less than with other alternative energy technologies.